Jaggery or ‘Gur’ is a natural sweetener obtained from the sap of the sugar cane plant. It is an unrefined product made by boiling down the juice of sugar cane. Jaggery has been used in India since ancient times as a natural food preservative and as a medicine. Jaggery is rich in minerals and has several and amazing health benefits. It contains iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.
The use of jaggery powder instead of sugar can help to reduce the risk of tooth decay, obesity and diabetes due to its high nutritional value. Compared to sugar which is devoid of any nutritional value, jaggery powder helps to maintain the balance between blood glucose levels and insulin secretion.
Nutritional value Of Jaggery
In recent years, research has shown that jaggery might be healthier than refined sugar. The reason for this is that jaggery contains trace minerals like iron, chromium and magnesium which are lost during the refining process.
- For Weight loss Jaggery aids in the detoxification of the body by removing toxins and purifying the blood. The potassium in jaggery boosts metabolism and aids electrolyte balance in the body, allowing for water retention and good weight management.
- Helps in boosting immunity
- Helps in building immunity - Minerals present in jaggery can help prevent free-radical damage and improve infection tolerance. It also tends to boost overall blood haemoglobin count, hence building stronger immunity.
- Controls Blood Pressure - Because jaggery is high in potassium and sodium, it helps to maintain a healthy acid balance in the body, which helps to keep blood pressure under control.
- Relieves Joints Pain - Many doctors recommend consuming jaggery on a daily basis can provide you with much-needed relief from aches and pain in your joints. It should be eaten with a piece of ginger or milk can strengthen the bones, hence preventing bone problems such as arthritis.
- Eases menstrual cycle - Jaggery can also be used as a natural remedy for menstrual irregularities. Jaggery's sweetness releases happy hormones (endorphins), which improves menstrual issues such as stomach pains and mood swings.
- Cooling Effect in Summer - Jaggery can help in maintaining the normal body temperature which is why Gur Sharbat is largely consumed during summers to render a cooling effect in the body.